What is the Technical Group of Comminution?
The Technical Group of Comminution, cofounded in the early 1970s with the seven other technical groups of the Association of Powder Process Industry and Engineering, Japan (APPIE), has a long history of contributing to the advancement of the field of comminution, and impacting industry in Japan. Comminution is a fundamental process in powder processing, and is essential in the production of advanced materials. A focus of the Comminution Technology Group in Japan is to produce powder with the desired characteristics (e.g., controlled particle size, size distribution, and shape) for a given application.
Current state of Comminution in Japan
- Comminution technology in Japan is very advanced, similar to that in technologically advanced countries such as in Europe and in the
- Fine grinding technology is maintained at an exceptionally high level in Japan with the aid of the creativity and inventions of the milling equipment manufacturers.
- In addition to size reduction, cutting edge milling processes are being developed in Japan to produce advanced powders with desired characteristics, such as powders of multilayered and encapsulated/coated particles, controlled shape (e., spherical shaping), and controlled size distribution.
- Milling equipment manufacturers and users in Japan have been challenged to improve milling efficiency, and have achieved excellent results.
- The complex motion of the grinding media in a mill/mixer has been simulated on a small scale, and, in combination with other advanced technology, is being applied to a larger, more practical scale for manufacturing in Japan.
- Comminution technology is being applied to produce powders for a host of applications (e.g., structural, electrical and magnetic materials and devices, fertilizer, and fodder) to advance industry (e.g., advanced materials, food, agriculture, and cosmetics) and contribute to a happy, healthy and prosperous society in Japan.
Current activities and management
- Near term, the Technology Group of Comminution will continue its work to collect and disseminate useful information on comminution to the benefit of both the manufacturers and users of powders. The focus will be on the core areas of “energy and raw materials”, and on “safety”. The materials of interest in “energy and raw materials” are primarily inorganic compounds; however, organic materials relating to life (e.g., food and medical/pharmaceutical products) will also be a priority.
- FY2016 Group activity and the management principle.
(a) At least two symposia should be planned by the Group, with the intent of attracting many participants to each event. Additionally, an introductory seminar on comminution is to be held at POWTECH TOKYO 2016.
(b) To ensure success, the work to organize the events above will be shared amongst the management members listed in the table below.
|Coordinator||Professor, Osaka University||NAITO/Makio|
|Vice Coordinator||Professor,Tohoku University||KANO/Junya|
|Representative Organizer||TOKYO ATOMIZER MFG. CO., LTD.||EBIHARA/Hisashi|
|Vice Representative Organizer||FURUKAWA INDUSTRIAL MACHINERY SYSTEMS CO., LTD.||SUNAGA/Yoshiyuki|
|Organizer||ASHIZAWA FINETECH LTD.||ISHII/Toshihiro|
|EARTHTECHNICA CO., LTD.||UENO/Akinori|
|SEISHIN ENTERPRISE CO., LTD.||TSUBUKU/Yukihisa|
|HOSOKAWA MICRON CORPORATION||OZASA/Masayuki|
|MIKUNI COLOR LTD.||KAWARAYA/Masahide|
|NIPPON COKE ＆ ENGINEERING CO.,LTD.||GUNJI/Susumu|
|NISSHIN ENGINEERING INC.||KOZAWA/Kazumi|
|OTSUKA PHARMACEUTICAL CO., LTD.||YAMAZAKI/Hiroyuki|