The Fluidization Technical Group was formed in 1993. The technical group changed this group name to the Technical Group of Environment, Energy and Fluidization in 2004 to express that the group emphasizes environment and energy. Owing to the influence of the unexpected disaster, Great East Japan Earthquake in 2011, problems of environment and energy become a big issue for all human beings. We know from the long-held view that there are many possibilities that even a matured technology can become an efficient leading—edge source of energy by combination. At the same time there are several institutional obstacles in the way. The group tries to remove such obstacles and foster the knowledge. Hereafter the group will sharpen its intent, and wishes to make the group activities significant and meaningful.
Current level of technology, trend and activities in future
- Powder technology is a fundamental key technology in the field of various energy conversion processes for solid fuels like coal, and for renewable energies such as woody biomass conversion or waste incineration processes.
- Powder technology and fluidized-bed technology are widely used in the new energy conversion processes such as Integrated coal Gasification Combined Cycle (IGCC), Oxy Fuel Combustion and Chemical Looping Combustion (CLC), as well as in the conventional large-scale pulverized and fluidized coal combustion systems. Among these developments, the important key technology is the powder handling technology under high pressure or particle recirculation, and etc.
- Woody biomass and waste show aggregated or fibrous structures, then, development for such materials still requires the empirical powder handling technology. Development of theoretical methodology of powder handling technology would be a vital challenge.
- Fluidized bed techniques have always been under improvement, because they have been used not only in the environment and energy field, but also widely in the industry. Recently many processes need to be improved from the point of efficiency or cost, because 30 through 40 years have passed since their original installations. However, there are not so many researchers who conduct the fundamental research in this field. Therefore, Environment, Energy and Fluidization group is co-hosting the fundamental practical training course on fluidization every summer in Chuo University in Tokyo to offer the opportunity to acquire fundamental technical knowledge and capabilities to engineers in the industry.
- Recent domestic and international workshops/symposiums are as follows.
- The International Conference of Chemical Looping was held in October 2016 in Nanjing, China, where 79 reports were published including poster presentations.
- The 72nd IEA-FBC(Fluidized Bed Conversion) Meeting was held in Budapest, Hungary, in April 2016. The 73rd Meeting was held in Tokyo in December 2016 and on this occasion, a study tour was conducted to visit the pressurized fluidized bed incineration system called as the turbo incinerator in Kasai Water Reclamation Center installed by Tsukishima Kikai Co., Ltd. As there are no such pressurized fluidized bed combustion systems in Europe, it greatly drew the attention of the participants.
- The Fluidizaion XV Meeting was held in Canada in May 2016. The 12th CFB Conference is to be held in Poland in May 2017.
- The 22nd Symposium on Fluidization & Particle Processing was held in December 2016 In Tokyo University. 98 presentations were made including the invited lectures. We had many participants from the powder processing field in addition to the fluidization field. The 23rd Symposium will be held in Shizuoka University in December 2017.
|Vice Coordinator||Nagoya University||NARUSE/Ichirou|
|Representative Organizer||METAWATER CO., LTD.||YAMAMOTO/Masayuki|
|Vice Representative Organizer||NARA MACHINERY CO., LTD.||TAKASHIMA/Hisatsugu|
|Organizer||CHUGAI RO CO., LTD.||SASAUCHI/Kenichi|
|EBARA ENVIRONMENTAL PLANT CO., LTD.||CHO/Hiromitsu|
|JFE ENGINEERING CORPORATION||SUZUKI/Yasuo|
|KOBELCO ECO-SOLUTIONS CO., LTD.||HOSODA/Hiroyuki|
|TSUKISHIMA KIKAI CO., LTD.||TAKADA/Maki|
|Emeritus Coordinator||Professor Emeritus,Tokyo University of Agriculture and Technology||HORIO/Masayuki|