The Fluidization Technical Group was formed in 1993. The technical group changed this group name to the Technical Group of Environment, Energy and Fluidization in 2004 to express that the group emphasizes environment and energy. Owing to the influence of the unexpected disaster, Great East Japan Earthquake in 2011, problems of environment and energy become a big issue for all human beings. We know from the long-held view that there are many possibilities that even a matured technology can become an efficient leading—edge source of energy by combination. At the same time there are several institutional obstacles in the way. The group tries to remove such obstacles and foster the knowledge. Hereafter the group will sharpen its intent, and wishes to make the group activities significant and meaningful.
Current level of technology, trend and activities in future
- Powder technology: Fundamental key technology in the field of energy conversion processes using solid fuels. It is utilized in the large-scale boilers such as pulverized coal combustion and fluidized bed coal combustion, and the new energy conversion processes such as Integrated coal Gasification Combined Cycle power generation system (IGCC), oxy-fuel combustion and Chemical Looping Combustion (CLC). Particularly, under high pressure below 30 atm and at high temperature around 1000 ℃, the powder handling technologies such as solid particle supply, recirculation, pulling out and control, become the important key.
- Biomass and Waste Fuel: Conventional coal utilization technology is applicable to the biomass utilization process, however, for large size or fibrous solid fuels, we still depend on the empirical powder handling technology. The powder technologies need to advance to the level that each solid fuel can be instantly recognized by its particular shapes and sizes and be handled theoretically in the future.
- Fluidized bed technology: Fundamental technology having been widely utilized in various industrial fields. Therefore, the designing techniques and know-hows have been accumulated, and the simulation techniques developed as well. However, there is also one aspect where generalization is difficult because the powder technology lies at the foundation. Accordingly, the basic knowledge of the fundamental technology is vital. So, we, Environment, Energy and Fluidization Group, are co-hosting the fundamental practical training course on fluidization every summer in Chuo University in Tokyo to offer the opportunity to acquire fundamental technical knowledge and capabilities to engineers in the industry. In 2019, we will hold the 33rd program and are planning to close this intensive course in 2021.
- Biomass related: Since the introduction of FIT in Japan, the construction of woody biomass power plants has been promoted nationwide, and the introduction amount since 2012 has exceeded 3 million kW. Circulating fluidized beds are often used in plants of several thousand kW or more, and there are many plans for the implementations in the near future. However, as reliance on fuel overseas is increasing, careful consideration is required to deal with it as a countermeasure against global warming
- Recent domestic and international conferences related to Fluidized bed:
① 23rd International Conference on Fluidized Bed Conversion (FBC), and 76th IEA / FBC were held in Seoul, Korea in May 2018. Also in September 2018, 5th International Conference on Chemical Looping was held in Utah, USA.
② In May 2019, 16th International Conference on Fluidized Bed Technology(Fluidization XVI) will be held in Guilin, China, and APPChe in September 2019 in Sapporo, Japan.
③ In Japan, 24th Fluidization/Particle Processing Symposium was held in Hachioji, Tokyo in December 2018 and about 50 presentations including invited lectures were made. In 2019, the 25th Symposium will be held in Osaka University.
|Vice Coordinator||Nagoya University||NARUSE/Ichirou|
|Representative Organizer||METAWATER CO., LTD.||YAMAMOTO/Masayuki|
|Vice Representative Organizer||NARA MACHINERY CO., LTD.||TAKASHIMA/Hisatsugu|
|Organizer||CHUGAI RO CO., LTD.||SASAUCHI/Kenichi|
|EBARA ENVIRONMENTAL PLANT CO., LTD.||CHO/Hiromitsu|
|JFE ENGINEERING CORPORATION||SUZUKI/Yasuo|
|KOBELCO ECO-SOLUTIONS CO., LTD.||HOSODA/Hiroyuki|
|TSUKISHIMA KIKAI CO., LTD.||TAKADA/Maki|
|Emeritus Coordinator||Professor Emeritus,Tokyo University of Agriculture and Technology||HORIO/Masayuki|