The Fluidization Technical Group was formed in 1993. The technical group changed this group name to the Technical Group of Environment, Energy and Fluidization in 2004 to express that the group emphasizes environment and energy. Owing to the influence of the unexpected disaster, Great East Japan Earthquake in 2011, problems of environment and energy become a big issue for all human beings. We know from the long-held view that there are many possibilities that even a matured technology can become an efficient leading—edge source of energy by combination. At the same time there are several institutional obstacles in the way. The group tries to remove such obstacles and foster the knowledge. Hereafter the group will sharpen its intent, and wishes to make the group activities significant and meaningful.
Current level of technology, trend and activities in future
(1) Powder technology: Fundamental key technology in the field of energy conversion processes using solid fuels. It is utilized in the various large-scale boilers, and the new energy conversion processes such as the Integrated coal Gasification Combined Cycle power generation system (IGCC), the oxy-fuel combustion and the Chemical Looping Combustion (CLC). There is a need for further improvement in the powder handling technologies such as solid particle supply, recirculation, pulling out and control, particularly under high pressure such as 30 atm and at high temperature around 1000 ℃.
(2) Biomass and Waste Fuel: Conventional coal utilization technology is applicable to the biomass utilization process, however, for large size or fibrous solid fuels, we still depend on the empirical powder handling technology. The powder technologies need to advance to the level that each solid fuel can be instantly recognized by its particular shapes and sizes and be handled theoretically in the future. In addition, it is becoming increasingly important to develop new heat demand that enhances the efficiency of use of energy generated by combustion, and to use AI and to turn nationwide operating conditions into big data.
(3) Fluidized bed technology: Fundamental technology having been widely utilized in various industrial fields. Therefore, the designing techniques and know-hows have been accumulated, and the simulation techniques developed as well, however, they have been difficult to be generalized. Accordingly, the basic knowledge of the fundamental technology is vital. So, we, Environment, Energy and Fluidization Group, are co-hosting the fundamental practical training course on fluidization to offer the opportunity to acquire fundamental technical knowledge and capabilities to beginners and intermediate engineers in the industry. The course has been held in Chuo University, Korakuen campus, in Tokyo. In 2019, we held the 33rd program and from 2020 and on, we are renewing the program to the satellite courses in collaboration with 5 universities and technical colleges nationwide without intensive lectures.
(4) Biomass related: Since the introduction of FIT in Japan, the construction of woody biomass power plants has been promoted nationwide, and the introduction amount since 2012 has exceeded 3 million kW. Circulating fluidized beds are often used in plants of several thousand kW or more, and there are many plans for the implementations in the near future. However, as reliance on fuel overseas is increasing, careful consideration is required to deal with it as a countermeasure against global warming
(5) In Japan, 25th Fluidization/Particle Processing Symposium was held in Osaka University in November 2019. In 2020, Gifu University will take the lead in holding the 26th Symposium. It is believed that the trend from the 24th symposium to expect companies to actively make presentations at company sessions will continue to accelerate.
|Vice Coordinator||Nagoya University||NARUSE/Ichirou|
|Representative Organizer||METAWATER CO., LTD.||YAMAMOTO/Masayuki|
|Vice Representative Organizer||KOBELCO ECO-SOLUTIONS CO., LTD.||HOSODA/Hiroyuki|
|Organizer||EBARA ENVIRONMENTAL PLANT CO., LTD.||CHO/Hiromitsu|
|JFE ENGINEERING CORPORATION||SUZUKI/Yasuo|
|NARA MACHINERY CO., LTD.||KATSURADA/Tetsushi|
|SUMITOMO METAL MINING CO.,LTD.||SATO/Kenji|
|TSUKISHIMA KIKAI CO., LTD.||TAKADA/Maki|